Production on Star Wars Episode VII is underway! Information about the film has leaked out slowly, and a mountain of rumors have come along with it. It has become increasingly hard to distinguish fact from fiction during this time, so that is why we have created this page. It's purpose is to highlight all the facts, as well as keeping track of the rumors.
Be sure to check out the rumors page to see what may, or may not, be true, and who reported!
- Information on this page has been confirmed to be true by either Lucasfilm or other reliable sources.
- This page may contain spoilers!
- As more info comes in, these pages will continued to be refurbished. Please pardon our progress.
- If there is anything missing or wrong please email us: email@example.com.
- Disney acquires Lucasfilm, announces Episode VII - October 30th, 2012
- J.J Abrams announced as director - January 25th, 2013
- Pre-production begins - Spring 2013
- John Williams announced as composer - July 27th, 2013
- Location scouting, production design, casting & costume design underway - October 24th, 2013
- Script completed - January 19th, 2014
- Filming underway, casting ongoing, screenplay is finished - April 6th, 2014
- Principal Cast revealed - April 29th, 2014
- Principal Photography begins - May 16th, 2014
- On location shooting in Abu Dhabi ends - May 2014
- Harrison Ford is injured on set - June 12th, 2014
- Release date - December 18th,2015
- Adam Driver
- Andy Serkis
- Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
- Carrie Fisher as Leia
- Crystal Clarke
- Daisy Ridley
- Domhnall Gleeson
- Gwendoline Christie
- Harrison Ford as Han Solo
- John Boyega
- Kenny Baker as R2-D2
- Lupita Nyong'o
- Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
- Max von Sydow
- Oscar Isaac
- Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
- Pip Andersen
On June 19th, 2013 casting was reportedly underway. Character details were revealed, as follows:
- Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
- Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
- A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.
- Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.
- A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
- Forty something male, fit, military type.
- Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
In November 2013 open casting calls were held in the U.S & U.K for two lead roles in a "Disney Feature film" which Lucasfilm confirmed to be Episode VII. The audition script was also revealed. Those roles are:
Seeking: Young woman to play 17-18 Years old. Must be beautiful, smart and athletic. Open to all ethnicities (including bi- and multi-racial).
Was quite young when she lost her parents. With no other family, she was forced to maker her way alone in a tough, dangerous town. Now 17 she has become street smart and strong. She is able to take care of herself using humor and guts to get by.... Always a survivor, never a victim, she remains hopeful that she can move away from this harsh existence to a better life. She is always thinking of what she can do to move ahead.
Seeking: Young man to play 19-23 years old. Must be handsome, smart and athletic. Must be over 18.
Has grown up without a father's influence. Without the model of being a man, he doesn't have the strongest sense of himself. Despite this, he is smart, capable and shows courage when it is needed. He can appreciate the absurdities in life and understands you can't take life too seriously.
- J.J Abrams - Director/Producer/Writer
- Tommy Harper - Executive producer
- Jason McGatlin - Executive producer
- Kathleen Kennedy - Producer
- Bryan Burk - Producer
- Lawrence Kasdan - Writer/Creative consultant
- Micheal Arndt - Writer
- George Lucas - Creator/Creative consultant
- Simon Kinberg - Creative Consultant
- John Williams - Composer
- Dan Mindel - Director Of Photography
- Rick Carter - Production Designer
- Darren Gilford - Production Designer
- Chris Corbould - Special effects supervisor
- Roger Guyett - Visual effects supervisor
- Mathew Wood - Supervising sound editor
- Ben Burtt - Sound Designer
- Michael Kaplan - Costume Designer
- Gary Rydstrom - Re-recording mixer
- Doug Chiang - TBA
- Iain McCaig - TBA
- Lee Towersey - Creature effects
- Oliver Steeples - Creature effects
- Brian Muir - TBA
- Filming at Pinewood Studios in the United Kingdom.
- Produced by Lucasfilm, Bad Robot Productions & Walt Disney Pictures.
- Micheal Arndt wrote the initial draft(s) of the script and J.J Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan finished it.
- Open auditions for two lead roles took place in November 2013 in the U.S & U.K.
- Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples, members of the R2-D2 builders club in the UK, were hired to work on Episode VII as part of the creature effects team.
- The film has no budget and Disney expects it to cost $200 million.
- It will be shot on 35mm film. (View photos of the cameras here)
- The film's story will be set approximately thirty years after the events of Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi.
- It will be released in IMAX.
- Following Episode VII, Star Wars Episode VIII will be released in 2017, and Episode IX in 2019.
- Three unknown Star Wars spin-off films are targeted for release before the end of the decade.
- On Star Wars day 2014 J.J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan "Video selfie" from London.
- Andy Serkis' motion capture studio The Imaginarium is working on the film.
- In August of 2014, in light of Harrison Ford's injury, production took a two week hiatus while adjustments to the schedule were made.
- Mark Hamill has confirmed that Luke Skywalker will have a beard.
"[Kathleen Kennedy] and I have been working on future Star Wars films and the main reason I brought Kathy on is rather than quit, I wanted to have it move forward and I needed somebody that I trusted who could take that franchise and make it work the way I intended it to. So once Kathy came on board we starting working with writers and started working on all the processes of doing the films. So, we've got a plan for seven, eight and nine, which is the end of the trilogy, and other films also. So, we have a large group of ideas and characters and books and all kinds of things, we could go on making Star Wars for the next hundred years." - George Lucas | 10/30/12
"I have story treatments of seven, eight and nine and a bunch of other movies. And obviously we have hundreds of books and comics and everything you can possibly imagine. So, you know, I've sorta moved that treasure trove of stories and various things to [Kathleen Kennedy] and have I complete confidence that she's gonna take them and make great movies." - George Lucas | 10/30/12
"George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another actor in our parts – they would write us out." - Mark Hamill | 2/20/13
"No doubt[it will feature a love story], even if I already know I want to approach this project in a different way." - J.J Abrams | 6/16/13
“It’s been nice see that how important [Star Wars] is and to be reminded how important it is to so many people. We all know that [George Lucas'] dream has become almost a religion to some people. I remember reading a thing somewhere, someone wrote about just wanting [Episode VII] to feel real; to feel authentic. I remember I felt that way when I was 11 years old when I saw the first one. As much of a fairy tale as it was, it felt real. And to me, that is exactly right.” - J.J Abrams | 9/19/13
"Looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feeling for what even some of the early films did in combination with real locations and special effects, that's something that we're looking very seriously at.... So we're going to find some very cool locations that we're gonna use in support of [Episode] VII. And I think we're probably gonna end up using every single tool in the tool box to create the look of these movies, that's what we're really excited about... It's using model makers, it's using real Droids, it's taking advantage of the artwork that gets done that you can actually touch and feel. We want to do that in combination with CG effects.... Almost every day we are sitting in long, lengthy story meetings, and great stuff is coming out of those discussions.... The story and the characters are all we're talking about right now. We know that we have an amazing team inside of ILM that can create fantastic effects, but if we don't have great story and we don't have great characters then the effects mean nothing." - Kathleen Kennedy | 7/27/13
"I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry[Kasdan] and J.J. working on the script. There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production." - Kathleen Kennedy | 10/24/13
"[Episode VII] is obviously one of the most important films that we're working on right now. And one of the things that was very important to us is that we give the creative team, J.J Abrams and his writing team, the time to design, write and produce the film so that... they can create a great film. At one point we considered the summer of 2015, but it felt like, particularly with some changes we made in the writing team, that that was going to create a bit of a rush, and we didn't think that was optimal for obvious reasons. So Christmas 2015 became the date. " - Bob Iger | 11/8/13
“It all started when Kathleen Kennedy toured the R2-D2 Builders area at Celebration Europe this past summer in Germany. She posed for pictures with us, looked at all the droids we’d built and was very complimentary. I mentioned that the R2-D2 Builders in the UK were available if required, as a semi-joke. When I was contacted to work on the film by [executive producer] Jason McGatlin, it was on her recommendation.”" - Oliver Steeples | 11/19/13
"You know obviously when we bought Marvel, and now I think everything I say about Marvel you can take a couple of years down the road and substitute the word Marvel for Lucasfilm... But we really wanted to take this treasure trove of content and deliver it throughout the Disney ecosystem. That was our strategy. Buy this great content, use the existing ecosystem to deliver it all over the world in everything that we do. So of course we started with films.” - Jay Rasulo(Disney CFO) | 12/10/13
"George was so clear as to how that works. The canon that he created was the Star Wars saga. Right now, episode seven falls within that canon. The spin-off movies, or we may come up with some other way to call those films, they exist within that vast universe that he created," she says... There is no attempt being made to carry characters (from the standalone films) in and out of the saga episodes. Consequently, from the creative standpoint, it's a roadmap that George made pretty clear." - Kathleen Kennedy | 1/17/14
"I could not be more excited to be a part of the Star Wars saga. It still seems hard to believe. Star Wars is a huge part of my family. Collecting toys, throwing themed parties. We had a big one for Return of the Jedi. I came as a gonk droid.” - Oscar Isaac | 5/10/14
"It's a wonderful, wonderful cast, really beautiful director, great atmosphere... Star Wars was my childhood, so it's fantastic." - Andy Serkis | 5/13/14
"I was knocked out by the diverse & extraordinarily talented new cast members. WOW they're good! The saga is in superb hands." - Mark Hamill | 5/1/14
The infamous cast announcement photo, released on April 29th, 2014. Starting at top, clockwise is J.J Abrams, Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, Byran Burk, Kathleen Kennedy, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Adam Driver and Lawrence Kasdan.
|J.J Abrams(left) and Kathleen Kennedy(right) with creature effects team members Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples.|
|Photo from the Lucasfilm website featuring(from left to right) Executive producer Jason McGatlin, what looks to be director J.J Abrams facing away, Production designer Rick Carter, producer and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and ILM's chief creative officer John Knoll. In the background there appears to be concept art for the Millenium Falcon and a canyon landscape.|
On May 16th, 2014, Bad Robot tweeted this photo with the hashtag "#dayone",
thus announcing that principal photography had begun.
A "VII Now Filming" sign hangs outside Pinewood Studios.
On June 2nd, 2014, TMZ revealed 45 photos from the Abu Dhabi set, featuring many extras in costume, a sign that reads "warning", a Ralph McQuarrie inspired archway and a giant Pig-like creature.
The next day TMZ also released several more on set photos(presumably taken at Pinewood Studios) featuring full scale models of the Millennium Falcon, an X-Wing more photos of the Pig-creature seen in Abu Dhabi.
On June 4th, 2014 Bad Robot tweeted this photo. The note reads: "I wish people would stop leaking photos from Episode VII and making ridiculous claims that the Millennium Falcon is in the movie. -JJ"
On June 9th, 2014 John Boyego shared this photo of himself
in the makeup chair, with the caption: "And here we go!"
On June 25th, 2014 Lego unveiled a brick version of the infamous Episode VII cast photo,
thus announcing the beginning of development of sets based on the film.
Continue to the rumor page for tons more information that may, or may not be true!