By: Dominic Jones
Rian Johnson's Star Wars Episode VIII may add have added another talented actor to its already impressive cast. Our friends over at MakingStarWars.net are reporting that Tom Hardy (Mad Max: Fury Road, The Dark Knight Rises) will have a small role in the film. Hardy has apparently already filmed his scene, which is said to be similar to Daniel Craig's cameo in The Force Awakens.
MSW also reported some details about Hardy's role in the film, so if you are trying to avoid all Episode VIII spoilers then stop reading now. This is you SPOILER ALERT!
According to Making Star Wars,
- Tom Hardy plays a First Order stormtrooper.
- Said stormtrooper glimpses FN-2187 on a secret mission but doesn’t realize it.
- The “incognito” FN-2187 is surprised when the stormtrooper walks up behind him and slaps him on the ass.
- FN-2187 turns around and believes he’s dead. He’s surely going to be captured.
- The stormtrooper is elated to see his old friend from back during their First Order academy days.
- The stormtrooper congratulates FN-2187 on his promotion to Resistance infiltrator and spy.
- FN-2187 is free to go about his business to his amazement.
This scene certainly sounds interesting. It raises the question, does Tom Hardy's stormtrooper let Finn live because of their history and he can't bring himself to kill an old friend or is he secretly jealous of Finn because he got out of The First Order. We know that First Order troopers are raised and programmed from birth to be the ultimate soldiers, but now that one trooper has deserted could this be the beginning of a movement? Could we see more and more troopers abandoning their posts? It seems unlikely that this would be the case, and this is probably just a one off, though you never know.
As always this is just a rumor until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.