Thursday, August 13, 2015

EW Spills Details About The Han Solo Anthology Film

1 comments
By: Benjamin Hart

As you've probably heard, and seen, Entertainment Weekly revealed a ton of new information and photos from The Force Awakens yesterday in preparation for the release of their Fall movie preview issue tomorrow. Today they have shifted their focus to everyone's favorite scruffy looking Nerf herder, Han Solo, and his upcoming Anthology film. EW's Anthony Breznican spoke with Lawrence Kasdan, who's writing the film with his son Jon, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy who spilled some interesting details about the production so far and hinted at what we might see on the big screen on May 25, 2018.

First off, Kathleen Kennedy explains that the idea of Anthology films, specifically one about Han Solo, is one that dates back prior to the Disney acquisition in late 2012 and is something George Lucas himself approved prior to retiring from Lucasfilm:

“It was one of the first things he sat down to talk to me about: What would those movies be? That’s where we discussed not only reigniting the saga, but talking about the standalone, what has now become the anthology films.”

Further, they confirm that the production team aren't even close to casting anyone yet, but Kennedy says that Han will be in his "high teens, low 20s" in the film and, although Chewbacca is a given, hints the likes of Lando Calrissian, Jabba the Hutt and Greedo may appear. She also expresses a desire to tell an important story with Han while still keeping some of the mysteries of the character intact:

“There’s got to be a reason for [the stand-alone film] to be. And obviously the thing that Star Wars has always done so well is it doesn’t spend a lot of time [explaining] the stories that have come before. We don’t want to do that either. We don’t want to spend time going back and answering a lot of questions that, quite frankly, I don’t think people want answered... I think the key here is that we are identifying an event or events in Han Solo’s life that gives you some idea of who he is and why he is the character we have all known to love."

In addition, Kennedy briefly spoke about the third Anthology film that was slated to be directed by Josh Trank prior to him leaving the project. She assures EW that, while they haven't hired a new director yet, the film is still on the way:

“It’s still one of the stories that we absolutely want to tell. There is a lot of innovative technology in and around what it is we’re doing with that story, so for a lot of reasons, we were comfortable postponing that. But we’re definitely still developing it.”

Source: EW.com

Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.

1 comments:

Jack Williamson said...

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com