We are now exactly a month away from from "Force Friday", which will mark the release of countless nw toys and other merchandise for The Force Awakens. One of the biggest retailers that will be involved in the release is Toys"R"Us which has been in the business of selling Star Wars toys since the very first items were released back in 1977. Now the company is now looking to the future and has big plans for it's Midnight madness events that will be taking place at Toys"R"Us stores worldwide. Today a press release surfaced which gives us all the details about what Toys"R"Us has in store for anxious customers, including a massive event at the Toys"R"Us store in Times Square that will host special guests, legendary Star Wars collector and Rancho Obi-Wan curator Steve Sansweet, along with official Star Wars artist Jeff Carlisle. You can read all about it below:
TOYS“R”US® TO LAUNCH NEW STAR WARS™ SAGA PRODUCTS WITH OPENING EVENTS WORLDWIDE
The Next Chapter of the Legendary Franchise Begins at Toys“R”Us Stores Across the Globe on Force as Fans Get First Access to New Toys, Exclusive Giveaways and More
Company’s International Flagship Store in Times Square to Host Historic Star Wars Toy Exhibition and Ultimate Midnight Opening Celebration
WAYNE, NJ () – Toys“R”Us® is going into hyperdrive and preparing an out-of-this-galaxy, global celebration for the upcoming debut of toys based on the next chapter of the Star Wars™ Saga at . Counting down to the highly anticipated toy launch and this fall’s new theatrical release, Toys“R”Us stores worldwide and Toysrus.com have transformed into Destination: Star Wars, every fan’s retail source for The Force with hundreds of new products, including those only available at Toys“R”Us. On Force Friday, Toys“R”Us stores around the globe will open their doors for special opening festivities, providing customers of all ages the opportunity to be among the first to purchase must-have merchandise, receive exclusive giveaways and immerse themselves in all thingsStar Wars. The company’s international flagship store, Toys“R”Us Times Square in New York City, will host a historicStar Wars toy exhibition leading up to the grandest opening celebration of all, welcoming legions of eager fans with costumed characters, signing events, giveaways and more all day on . on Force
“Since the introduction of the first Star Wars toy in 1977, Toys“R”Us has served as the ultimate destination for Star Wars playthings, providing millions of kids and collectors worldwide with their most beloved memorabilia,” said Richard Barry, Executive Vice President, Global Chief Merchandising Officer, Toys“R”Us, Inc. “Since then, Star Wars has become a time-honored franchise with loyal fan interest, making it a perennial, top-selling licensed property. With the upcoming introduction of the new Star Wars toy line, we’re excited to welcome the next generation of fans into our stores around the world with exclusive products, special events, feature shops and giveaways.”
Toys“R”Us to Help Fans Worldwide Build Their Toy Empires
With operations in 38 countries, Toys“R”Us is leveraging its global footprint and position as the toy authority to provide an unprecedented Star Wars experience worldwide. On Force , Toys“R”Us locations in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Poland, Portugal, Spain and the U.K, will open at to welcome eager shoppers. The first customers to line up for the big product debut will receive Star Wars giveaways, including an exclusive poster, as well as the chance to be among the first to purchase exclusive Star Wars merchandise in dedicated front-of-store feature shops.
Leading up to Force Friday, stores in each of these countries will count down the minutes to @Toysrus. on with digital clocks, as well as Star Wars-themed microsites on each of their respective e-commerce pages. Social media users can follow the company’s worldwide openings on each country’s social media channels, as well as via the Toys“R”Us U.S. Twitter channel,
Openings Descend on Destination: Star Wars in the U.S.
When the clock strikes Toysrus.com/StarWars. on , all Toys“R”Us stores in the U.S. will open their doors, giving customers the opportunity to be among the first to purchase hundreds of new Star Wars playthings, including a wide variety of merchandise they can’t find anywhere else.* As an added bonus, little Jedi Knights and their families attending opening events will have the chance to receive special giveaways, including a limited edition LEGO® Star WarsCommemorative Brick and an exclusive Star Wars poster, while supplies last.** Also at on Force Friday, shoppers will be able to browse and purchase the new products online at
Those eager to count down to the highly anticipated toy debut can now find digital clocks at all Toys“R”Us locations nationwide and online at Toysrus.com/
DestinationStarWars. Beginning on Force , dedicated Star Wars feature shops will be found at the front of all stores nationwide, featuring a combination of figures, construction sets, accessories and more, plus updated countdown clocks reset to tick off the minutes to the release of the new movie.
Additionally, gamers can now preorder Star Wars Battlefront™, the ultimate Star Wars video game experience, along with Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars, at Toys“R”Us stores nationwide and online at Toysrus.com/StarWars.
For the latest Destination: Star Wars news and updates, fanatics can follow @ToysRUs on Instagram and Twitter, as well as Facebook.com/Toysrus. Followers are encouraged to post photos of their Star Wars toy empire, themselves dressed in their best Star Wars cosplay and their opening experience, as well as engage with one another and Toys“R”Us using #DestinationStarWars.
The Force is Strong at Toys“R”Us Times Square
The biggest opening celebration will take place at the company’s international flagship store in New York City, Toys“R”Us Times Square, where fans of all ages are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Star Wars character and take part in dozens of one-of-a-kind activities designed especially for Star Wars aficionados.***
The World’s Greatest Toy Store™ is kicking the party off early with a special exhibition featuring prototypes, originals and early editions of some of the best-known Star Wars toys in the world, curated by Rancho Obi-Wan, Inc., a non-profit museum that houses the Guinness World Record-certified largest collection of Star Wars memorabilia. Presented prominently throughout the store, “Destination: Star Wars – The Experience,” will be on display from through and will feature dozens of notable collectibles based on all six feature films from theStar Wars Saga, including the original first four mail-away action figures from 1978, a large-sized Chewbacca figure in never publicly-released The Empire Strikes Back packaging from Kenner Products and a rare 2003 LEGO Star Wars Cloud City building set.****
The adventure kicks into high gear on , when the store hosts Star Wars activities throughout the day, beginning at ****, including:
· A book signing and meet and greet with Steve Sansweet, Chief Executive Officer and President of Rancho Obi-Wan, Inc., storied Star Wars author and former Head of Fan Relations and Director of Content Management at Lucasfilm Ltd.
· An art class and meet and greet with fan-favorite Star Wars and science fiction artist, Jeff Carlisle.
· Star Wars product demonstrations and activations throughout the store, including Star Wars-themed 3-D action figure creation with 3D Plus Me, video gaming on Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars kiosks and experiencing intergalactic sound on Star Wars-themed headphones powered by SMS Audio.
· A LEGO Star Wars make and take for rebels looking to build their toy empire brick by brick.
· A Light Saber Academy with members of New York Jedi, a community of cosplayers, martial artists and teachers who share practical stage combat techniques oriented toward Light Sabers.
· Photo opportunities with costumed characters, including Furbacca, a character versioned after the Hasbro®toy that makes wookiee sounds like CHEWBACCA, Geoffrey the Giraffe and more.
· Ice cream flavors inspired by the Star Wars Saga from Scoops“R”Us™, the flagship store’s in-house ice cream shop located on the Lower Level.
· Star Wars-themed cookie decorating at a “Wookiee” Cookie Party on Level 1.
· Special giveaways for the first fans in line, including a Collector’s Edition LEGO Star Wars Commemorative Brick, an exclusive, limited edition Star Wars poster and a Star Wars Character Flashlight from JAKKS Pacific.***
· Star Wars trivia, a costume contest and a galaxy of excitement and prizes, while supplies last, for those fanatics waiting in line.
· A panel discussion with Steve Sansweet and Jeff Carlisle for select lucky fans, which will also be livestreamed via Periscope @Toysrus on Twitter.
· The ultimate unveiling of the official Toys“R”Us Times Square Star Wars feature shop at on Force .
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.