By: Dominic Jones
Everyone is still buzzing over the awesome news that The Lego Movie and 22 Jump Street directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller will be directing a Han Solo Anthology movie due for release on May 25th, 2018. While this will be the second Star Wars: Anthology film, the first being 2016's Rogue One, there are signs pointing to the fact that it is not the same film that Josh Trank was working on before he left the project earlier this year. The Hollywood Reporter said as much when they broke the Lord/Miller/Solo news earlier and now an official Disney Blog seems to be suggesting as much as well.
When reporting today's news, the Disney Insider blog teased more Star Wars news coming soon, specifically at this week's San Diego Comic Con and next month's D23 Expo. The blog states that,
"With the big Star Wars presentation at this year’s San Diego Comic Con scheduled for Friday night and the D23 Expo just around the corner (in August), expect more details (like how this relates to the Star Wars Anthology film that Fantastic Four director Josh Trank recently left) soon."
All this suggests that Tranks departure caused the powers that be at Lucasfilm to re-organize their schedule. My guess is that they had Lord and Miller all but signed on when Trank left, and once they finalized their deal they decided to move forward with this project first instead of trying to find a new director to take on the other film. Trank had been working with the Star Wars team for over a year when he quit, so re-organizing the film to fit a new director's vision (not to mention finding said director) may have been difficult given the time restraints. Instead they can move forward with a script and directors who are fully committed to the same vision and can pull off the film in time for it's May 25th, 2018 release date.
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.