By: Dominic Jones
The world's focus may be on the impending December release of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, but we need not forget that there is another new Star Wars film on the horizon, Rogue One directed by Gareth Edwards, Written by Chris Weitz, and starring Felicity Jones. The film won't hit theaters until December 16, 2016, but that doesn't mean we fans aren't hungry for any details we can get about the new production. Our friends over at MakingStarWars.net have come through again with some details about the production and plot of Star Wars: Rogue One. In the interests of people trying to avoid spoilers, I've divided the report into the info on the production and the info on the spoilers and divided them with our usual spoiler alert divider below.
Here's what MSW was able to report on the production of the film,
- Rogue One “still has a few months before it goes in front of cameras,” according to several sources.
- Felicity Jones is the main character (no duh).
- Aaron Paul isn’t out…yet. One sources says he is in, others aren’t so sure about that.
Now, before we get into the plot details, I will say these are not major spoilers by any stretch and are certainly nothing like the rumors currently out there about The Force Awakens. In addition, as with all rumors, there is a chance this may not be true. That being said, if you are trying to avoid all Rogue One spoilers then stop reading now. This is your official SPOILER ALERT!
Here's what MSW had to say about the plot of the film,
- The other role is the companion character of Jones.
- Paul is up for the “companion” character.
- It involves an agricultural planet heavily.
- Ben Mendelsohn is most likely playing “The Scientist.”
- The Death Star plans are still involved.
- The scientist knows the Death Star is wrong.
- Geonosians are responsible for the prototype and construction, nothing has been retconned.
So it seems the rumors about the film involving the Death Star plans may not have been far off. It's hard to tell exactly what the plot of the film will be. The original Death Star plan rumors involved Bounty Hunters stealing the plans, but the title Rogue One has fans speculating that the film will involve Rebel pilots. Perhaps there is some kind of happy middle involving Rebel pilots working with bounty hunters to steal the plans. We likely won't get any specific details about this new film until after The Force Awakens is released this December.
As always these are just rumors until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.