By: Dominic Jones
The first Star Wars Stand Alone Film, directed by Gareth Edwards and slated for a December 16th, 2016 release, has been dominating the Star Wars headlines over the past week as casting seems to have entered full swing. With casting underway, it leaves wondering how far along is the rest of the production. Our friend Jason Ward over at MakingStarWars.net has heard a few minor updates from his sources about what's going on with the new film. None of these involve the plot so you should be safe even if you don't want to be spoiled.
According to MSW,
- Production offices have been going full steam ahead since January 5th
- Artists have only begun to show up at Pinewood.
- Concepts for various items are being undertaken on site still.
- Plans for sets and so on are in development.
- Some big choices still need to be made.
- The rumours we’ve heard this week about the spin-off are hogwash.
This has been a week for weird rumors, some of which I would be quite happy to learn they're false. It sounds like we shouldn't expect this film to enter principle photography until around May, which is when The Force Awakens began shooting. That would make it possible for Lucasfilm to make a big casting announcement at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, which takes place April 16th to 19th.
As always, this is just a rumor until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.