By: Dominic Jones
The rumor of flashbacks being used in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens is one that has been around since pretty much day one. It has been divisive as flashbacks have never been used in a Star Wars film before (though they were used once on The Clone Wars). But the evidence is starting to pile up that yes, they will be used in the film. Our friends over at MakingStarWars.net have obtained some documents via their sources that go into great detail about what the flashback scenes will entail. As usual, there is a chance this may not be true, so if you are trying to avoid all spoilers, then stop reading now. This is your official SPOILER ALERT!
According to MakingStarWars.net here's how the flashback scenes will play out,
The sequences below take place in Rose’s pub. Here is the list of the sequences in order:
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub – There is a secret underground chamber and Rose begins her tale to Han, Rey, and Finn. They hold hands.
- Flashback: Interior Night at Academy – Dead bodies are on the ground. Luke turns up.
- Flashback: Exterior Dusk at the Academy – It is noted it is peaceful now. Artoo-Detoo is saddened as his master departs.
- Flashback: Exterior Day at the Savannah – A hand that takes the sword at the start of the film is revealed to be Naka’s hand.
- Flashback: Exterior on the Savannah – A peasant’s hovel where the peasant drops the sword, starts a fire, panics and then returns.
- Flashback: Exterior Desert – Local trader is seen leaving. (I believe it then cuts to Finn and Rey’s faces as the story unfolds).
- Flashback: Exterior Day Desert – Local trader makes a sale to a wealthy man.
- Flashback: Exterior Night Battlefield – Fierce battle! Sword is being use by the CLAN against THE SEVEN.
- Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Renn approaches Rey!
- Flashback: THE SEVEN are looting and we see Rose in the foreground taking “the object.”
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the underground chamber, Rose presents the saber and Rey is revolted by it while Finn is attracted to it.
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rey moves past aliens in an uproar as she leaves the establishment.
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Courtyard: Rey runs away from the castle.
- Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub Rey runs into the woods.
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rose now knows why the saber “came to her.”
- Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub BB-8 finds Rey but suddenly the villains are overhead.
- Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the corridors underneath the pub they notice Rey and BB-8 are missing as massive shaking begins.
- Exterior Roses’ Pub Plate Shot: From Rey’s point of view we see the destruction of the Castle.
- Exterior Day Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s Point of view we see Rose’s pub is chaotic.
- Exterior Day Woods Near Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s perspective we see Rose’s Pub ruined. Kylo Ren arrives with Stormtroopers in tow.
- Note: This pertains: “Interior Day: Roses’ Pub hallways beneath the pub, Rose “users her special skills” to defeat Stormtroopers.
It sounds to me like this will be looks of quick flashback scenes, without ever going too deep into one scene or another. Jason at MSW suggests that the academy referenced in the first few flashbacks is a Jedi Academy Luke Skywalker opened but he disappeared after all his students were massacred. Rose is believed to be the code name for Lupita Nyong'o's character. As for what "THE SEVEN" and "THE CLAN" are, is still somewhat of a mystery. It is also expected that there will be voice over in this scene to lend context to the flashbacks.
Also, Jason reiterates that this does still mostly line up with the rumor from last week which stated that Luke Skywalker will only appear at the end of the film, as his only other appearance will be in flashback form. Also, nowhere in this is there any mention of Darth Vader meeting with an Inquisitor. This doesn't mean that flashback won't happen, it just may not be part of this particular sequence of flashbacks.
I've been ok with the idea of flashbacks in Episode VII for a while now, and this sounds like it will be a hugely important scene that will lay the groundwork for the rest of the film and sequel trilogy.
As always this is just a rumor until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.