By: Dominic Jones
The famous Baker Street Wax Museum, Madame Tussauds has announced a massive Star Wars expansion in collaboration with Lucasfilm and Disney. The new Star Wars at Madame Tussauds experience is slated to open in May and will feature 16 realistic life-size wax figures and 11 settings from all six (current) Star Wars films. These will be walk in settings designed to mimic the atmosphere of the locations from the films, giving fans a unique experience.
The figures and settings will be,
- Cross the Trade Federation Bridge (Episode I) into Star Wars by Madame Tussauds
- The dramatic lightsaber duel (Episode I) between Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul
- The fiery lava landscape of Mustafar (Episode III) featuring Anakin Skywalker as he lifts his lightsaber in his fateful duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi
- In the cantina bar (Episode IV) with Han Solo
- Tatooine landscape (Episode IV) featuring C-3PO and R2-D2
- The flight deck of the Millennium Falcon (Episode IV) with Chewbacca
- The Death Star protected by two Stormtroopers (Episode IV)
- The swamps of Dagobah (Episode V) featuring Yoda
- 'I am Your Father' scene (Episode V) with Darth Vader
- Jabba's Throne Room (Episode VI) featuring Princess Leia, Jabba the Hutt and Salacious Crumb (and Han Solo frozen in carbon)
- Death Star Throne Room (Episode VI) featuring Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader locked in battle as evil Emperor Palpatine looks on
Madame Tussauds London General Manager Ben Sweets,
"We're working very closely with Disney and Lucasfilm to ensure 100 per cent authenticity and our team has had exclusive access to props, costumes, designs and even had a ‘sitting’ with one of the original Yoda models at Skywalker Ranch in California. Yoda's wax figure is now complete and the results are astonishing.
But this experience is about much more than the figures. Guests will be able to step right into an atmospheric recreation of Yoda's swamp like Luke Skywalker did in The Empire Strikes Back and see the fiery lava of Mustafar as Anakin turns to the dark side in Revenge of the Sith. Guests will become truly immersed in the films in a new and exciting way. We hope to delight fans and give them a unique way to celebrate the Star Wars story."
The level of detail that goes into these wax figures is incredible. Ten artists worked on Master Yoda alone! Check out this great video below to see more about that process,
The exhibit is slated to open in May 2015. For more information on Madame Tussauds visit their official website at www.madametussauds.com/London/
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.