By: Dominic Jones
Let's file this one under the "rumors I really hope are true" category. Our pals over at Jedi News have been doing some digging and they believe that Star Wars: Detours may actually be released this May! Detours is an animated Star Wars comedy series created by George Lucas along with Robot Chicken creators Seth Green and Matt Senreich. After unveiling the series at Celebration VI in 2012, Lucasfilm postponed the release of Detours indefinitely, when they cancelled The Clone Wars, following the Disney purchase. Although the creators were adamant that the series would be release one day, it didn't seem likely that the series would be released anytime soon.
Team Jedi News has uncovered that back on August 8th, 2014, "five trademarks were placed by Lucasfilm on the Star Wars Detours name covering the following product lines:
- Education and entertainment services
- Toys, games and playthings; gymnastic and sporting articles (except clothing); hand-held units for playing electronic games for use with or without an external display screen or monitor; Christmas stockings; Christmas tree ornaments and decorations; snow globes
- Clothing, footwear and headwear
- Paper and paper articles; cardboard and cardboard articles; printed matter; publications; books; photographs; portraits; paintings; stationery; office and school supplies
- Apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; audio books; audio recordings; audio and visual recordings; video game software; computer programs and software; consumer electronics and accessories therefore; eyeglasses and sunglasses and accessories therefore; binoculars; decorative magnets; graduated rulers; microphones"
Now this could have easily been Lucasfilm just making sure that they didn't loose the name Star Wars: Detours, but that's not all Jedi News discovered. They also revealed that their sources have told them that when the films are released digitally (as of now they are rumored to be coming in May) they will be part of a massive online Star Wars library that will include Star Wars: Detours. It is expected that all 39 completed episodes will be released as part of this library.
I must say, I am very excited by this rumor. What I saw of Detours at CVI was fantastic and I was very disappointed when the series was postponed. I am curious what would have changed the minds of the powers that be at Lucasfilm. We had been told that decision to cancel the series was due to the fact that Lucasfilm wanted to take a more serious tone with the Star Wars characters in anticipation of the new films. If I were to speculate what could change the minds of Lucasfilm, it would be that they were looking the bulk up their online digital library before it's release and took advantage of the completed, but unreleased content they had.
For a refresher on what Detours is all about, check out the trailer that was released in 2012 below,
As always, this is just a rumor until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.
Source: Jedi News
Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.