By: Benjamin Hart
Ever since October 30, 2012 when Disney first announced it's acquisition of Lucasfilm, and their subsequent plans to produce Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII & IX, they have also teased "spin-off" films as well. They have since clarified that these mysterious projects would be character origin films and that they would be released in between the number films of the Sequel Trilogy. Today in a Disney earnings conference call, CEO Bob Iger had some interesting things to say about about Star Wars and the heavily rumored spin-offs. Jedi News reports that after discussing Marvel, he moved on to Star Wars:
"and we made some other news last week when we announced the cast of Star Wars Episode VII which includes some very familiar faces as well as some exciting new talent and the reaction has been tremendous. I was at Pinewood Studios with JJ Abrams a couple of weeks ago and left more confident than ever that Episode VII will be the extraordinary movie Star Wars fans have been waiting for".
(Notice he says he visited Pinewood Studios recently. Could that mean this recently revealed photo of him with Chewbacca is indeed at Pinewood)
Iger then goes on to confirm that three spin-off movies are currently being targeted for release before the end of the of the decade, but he would not give any other details. He also reiterated Disney & Lucasfilm's intent to release the numbered chapters of the Saga(VII - IX) every other year. He also added that they(assuming Disney) have been amazed by fans' passion for Star Wars.
And that's all he said. So we're still left to wonder if those rumored Boba Fett, Yoda & Han Solo movies could still come to pass. And with no mention of any specific release dates, only deadline, it most likely means they're not sticking with their original plan to release the spin-offs every other year starting in 2016. It seems Lucasfilm & Disney's focus is now completely focused on Episode VII, which is a smart move. December 18th, 2015 is coming closer every day.
Source: Jedi News