Friday, January 17, 2014

Rumors: Jesse Plemons Cast As Ben Skywalker, Boba Fett Retcon, & More

7 comments
By: Benjamin Hart

For the first time in a while, the good folks at Latino Review have revealed a new load of Star Wars Episode VII rumors to us, some of which expands on what other sites previously reported. Starting off, Latino Review's Kellvin Chavez had this to say about the secrecy surrounding Episode VII:

"Everything Star Wars is LOCKED DOWN like nobody’s business. The Disney/Star Wars team is monitoring the internet activity of anyone with story-level involvement and access to the slightest bit of information. As we rapidly approach production, things are solidifying and Disney/Star Wars is getting ready to board the Abrams Denial Train (previous passenger Benedict KAHNberbatch)."

Continuing, Mr. Chavez tackles the recent report by The Hollywood Reporter about Michael Arndt's departure and the Big Three's involvement in the film:

"We’ve heard that the big difference of opinion between JJ Abrams and screenwriter Michael Arndt was the story direction of Episode VII. We know Arndt (Toy Story 3) got booted from Episode VII scripting duties and was replaced by Lawrence Kasdan with some JJ for good measure. We’ve heard that Arndt was much more into the story of the Solo kids, while JJ felt – and still feels – that this the story of the Skywalker line.

Since Arndt walked almost all of his ideas have been tossed and Abrams/Kasdan are pursuing the Skywalker-centric version they wanted. Mark Hamill’s part has been beefed up so much he might end up shooting 6 months on the movie, our source estimated."



He also has some very bold claims about Jesse Plemons' rumored casting:

"We heard that this is basically a locked deal, at least as locked as anyone can be at this point.

We expect Plemons’ involvement will be announced early on, but the Disney/Star Wars PR Plemons Plan, currently, is to confirm his involvement without naming his part. So we’ll get a confirmation, but not an official confirm that Plemons is playing Ben Skywalker, Luke’s son. Plemons’ character would be the main protagonist of Episode VIII. EIGHT!"

And in response to another Hollywood Reporter claim that
Obi-Wan has a daughter or granddaughter:

...We’re told that it’s absolutely not true. That being said, the Kenobi family will come into play. Could be niece nephew, no real details on that one. It could be a Force Ghost or a something else, we just know it’s not his daughter or grandkid."


But this last part is by far the most interesting, and outlandish, idea to come from this report:

"To counter-act the prequels, the Boba Fett spin-off movie planned for 2018 has an interesting twist pitched by Episode VII writer Lawrence Kasdan: the spin-off will start with a complete stranger killing Boba Fett and taking his armor, starting a Man-With-No-Name bounty hunter tale. So: someone kills the Boba Fett from the prequels and takes his armor and name. One this is for certain is that Kasdan didn’t like the prequel and wants no Bobba Fett Clone in the spin-off film.

...Lastly I was told by 3 sources, reps etc, etc…(so call who ever you want) that Captain America director Joe Johnston is on top of the list to direct the spin-off..."

Boba Fett is arguably the most popular Star Wars character ever, and it's no question that the development and changes Boba has gone through over the years has been controversial among fans. Even though some may still take issue with the fact the Boba is an unaltered Clone of his father, or that Jason Wingreen's original performance as Boba Fett in The Empire Strikes Back was dubbed over by Temuera Morrison, they are just that: facts. And we have come to accept them as such. Changing him in a big way such as this would not only be a slap in the face to fans, especially those who grew up believing that Boba Fett in both trilogies was the same character, but also the man who created him; George Lucas. No matter what Lawrence Kasdan's opinion of the Prequel Trilogy may be, I believe he would want to respect George's vision and expand on it, rather than try to go back change it to his own liking.



The good news is, this is indeed just a rumor. And even if it is true, Chavez admits that this was just a story pitch by Kasdan, which doesn't mean it was approved by anyone else behind the scenes. So, as always, keep your Salt handy and remain patient for an official announcement by Lucasfilm.

So what do YOU think about all of this? Let us know by tweeting at us @TheSWU on Twitter, join Club SWU on Facebook, or use the button at right to send us a voicemail that we just might play on our next Podcast!

The opinion expressed in this article are that of the author's and do not necessarily represent the views of the entire Star Wars Underworld organization. 

7 comments:

R9player7 said...

kenkraly2004 said...

NileQT87 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NileQT87 said...

Eliot Dew said...

the Leatheryman said...

Scott Thomson said...

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com